Friday, September 23, 2011

Update on PawPaw.

My PawPaw is still alive in the hospital. I was told by my mother yesterday that he was in a coma and the doctor(s) needed to okay to look at his lungs via oral scope. It has been a miracle that he has survived this long! He had to be revived three times on the way to the hospital. He has internal bleeding, which includes his esophagus. Several of his organs are starting to fail and only part of his heart is working.

Life is such a thing to be valued. However, at what point is it okay to let someone go? To -literally- pull the plug? The doctors say that he will most likely end up in a vegetative state. But there still seems to be hope - why else would they be wanting to assess the damage of his internal bleeding? The big question is: What would he want? I know that I personal would never want to live in a vegetative state - there is no quality in life. When did we as humans decide that it is okay to decide who lives and who dies? I use this in reference to life support. For some, maybe even most, people this truly may be life saving; but what about those who become vegetative? Love can be such a wonderful thing, but can we also be blinded by a false hope?

PawPaw seems to be holding on. Clinging to life with such strength. This grasp is blurring the lines. If he is holding on so tight, then should we be doing the same?

Please don't think I am distraught over this. And I know that that sentence may sound cold. I love my PawPaw, but as I stated in my last post about him, I didn't know him very well and he has not done wonderful things in his life. This situation really has me thinking about a lot of things...

No comments:

Post a Comment