Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Birthing Class

Yup, you read it right. Laurin are actually being proactive about this whole labor & delivery thing, as well as parenting!

Who knew?!

We registered for a 10 week course through our hospital: 6 weeks of birthing classes, 2 weeks of baby care and 2 weeks of breastfeeding.

We attended our 2nd birthing class last night. I must admit, it is kinda fun. Unfortunately, like all classes we have to introduce ourselves and get to know each other.. "Hi, my name is Melissa. My favorite color is green." (it's not really green.) I find this annoying and wasteful, but I guess it has some purpose if you even have to do it in birthing class.

Moving on from my petty annoyance, I find the class therapeutic. There is so much information out there and labor and delivery that it can be hard to determine what is useful and what is not. Not only is our instructor female, a midwife and a mom, but she is also pregnant! Talk about knowing what your students are going through!! She is super nice and has a way of explaining things so that you don't feel like you got hung up on the first sentence! (guess that's where the whole midwife and mom thing comes in!)

Last night we got to learn about the signs of labor, when it is real and when it isn't (or at least not real enough to rush to the hospital in the middle of the night in a panic with ugly pajamas on)!!!!!

Biggest lesson: 5-1-1. 5 minutes apart. 1 minute lasting. 1 hour fully timed. Figure that one out! :)


As the course goes on we will learn and watch videos on different kinds of birth from natural to medicated to c-section. I love this about the course! I would like to know what these different kinds of births and what they entail, so that I can feel fully informed about what I am walking into.

However I can tell you right now. I WANT MEDICATION! That whole natural birth thing is for people with a MUCH stronger will than I have! We watched the video for a natural birth last night. It wasn't terrible at all. There is one thing that I will NOT be doing. During pushing I WILL NOT be watching my baby protrude from my nether regions via mirror. The lady in the film did, which for her I'm sure was amazing. For me, I think I may pass out... And because I know that you are super into what I am writing and how I feel about this, I will let you know if I change my mind regarding the mirror.

You're Welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment