Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Unexpected Mommy

When I was pregnant I had a clear picture of what type of mom I would be. I would sit and think about what we would be like as parents and it seemed so clear.  and there was no way in Hell I was going to cloth diaper! EW! We would do whatever the pediatrician said and not even think twice about medicine. We would spoil our kids with toys and our kids will probably scream and throw temper tantrums in the ailes (spelling?) of grocery stores to which we would proudly ignore.


Everything changed once Sophia arrived. As any mother would say, I just want the best for her. We wanted to make sure that everything we give her was necessary and have continued to make truly informed decisions. Now, I am not saying that our way is the right way at all. It is just the right way for our family.


I am proud to say that I am a breastfeeding in public, cloth diapering, organic homemade baby food making, label reading/researching, thrifty mother. I am even planning on making our own cloth diaper laundry detergent and possibly cloth wipes!


And my baby? She is the happiest baby around! No documented incidents of public temper tantrums - yet. My point is that you should always be prepared to change. You may have an idea of what you'll be like as a parent before you are one, but you could be completely wrong! Once you have that little Love in your arms, you want nothing but the best for them and your point of view of the world completely changes. You are no longer Mrs. Whoever.


You are Mommy. 


3 comments:

  1. SO so true! And our parenting will continue to change as we learn and as our babies personalities come out....if there were only one way to raise a child everyone would be the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, you are Mommy, and such a wonderful one! Your post brings back memories of how I also felt before and after the arrival of Laurin :-). Thanks so much for continuing to let us in on your experiences. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, Melissa! I love that you get how HUGE this task is: we aren't "just" stay-at-home-moms... :) I was shocked at how the change in perspective you mentioned happens again with each child! I thought I had some things figured out with Jonathan, and BAM Henry arrived and changed all I thought I knew, and the same again with Evelyn :) I love making note of how I change with each child, each pregnancy, each major life event... I'm tucking it all away, with a rather whimsical hope to be a wise old lady someday because of it all. Keep at your noble task- good work, Momma!!

    ReplyDelete